Thursday, March 31, 2011

My first Quilt!

Ok, so I understand that I am a total nerd...and I am totally OK with that.  You should want to be as nerdy as me.  Really.  I am serious.

So, I told you that my friend Kelly created a monster.  I am obsessed.  I finally finished my first ever quilt, and can't wait to start my next one.  I know, you just want to see pictures.....

So this is how it all started.  I found this super cute pack of receiving blankets at Walmart for $10.  I really wanted to get some regular material, but couldn't find anything I really liked.  These colors are perfect for Campbell's "big girl" room she is getting for her birthday.  I cut the blankets into 6 inch squares.  

Next, I sewed an X across each flatbread sammie (I wouldn't consider it a sandwich since this was flannel material and didn't need batting).  After what seemed like doing that 4,345,783 times, I had a stack of squares that I sewed together.  All in all (can you see I am not that great--and patient--at doing tutorials??), it was fairly easy.  Once I was finished sewing everything together, I snipped the edges, washed it, and dried it to begin fraying the seams.  Totally awesome effect!

Here is a picture of the front.....
And one of the back...

For being only the second time in my life I have used a sewing machine, I am fairly impressed with myself....and you should be too!  Whatcha think???

I also want to give a shout out to two awesome fabric websites:
and

Check them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment